Wednesday 16 July 2014

Travel Diary: Malta

Hello Everyone! I have just come back from going on holiday to Malta with my family and it was amazing. I had never been to Malta before despite being part Maltese, but my Mum and her siblings used to go out all the time so the trip was very nostalgic for them.

The flight time was very quick, less than 3 hours which was good because I loath flying. Malta is so tiny that within about 45 mins you can be at the other side of the island so travelling from the airport was really quick and easy.

There is so much history in Malta, for such a small place nearly every building has some sort of cultural significance. It's also really strange because Malta was once occupied by the British there are lots of British shops out there. For example when we walked into the capital Valletta we just happened to walk past a Marks and Spencer!

Dingli Cliffs

Gozo Caves


We went to lots of churches and did all the usual cultural stuff but we spend a lot of time by the pool because it was just so hot. For those that don't know Malta is actually quite close to North Africa but because it is an island there is a breeze as well- this made it especially pleasant when the temperature reached the late 30s (degrees centigrade). The snorkeling is also fantastic because the water is so clear you can see all the fish and rocks.



Things not to miss:
-If you want to party then Selima is the place to be, not too far from Valetta it is where all the day trip boats leave from and it really is buzzing in the evenings.
-Take a trip to the Blue Lagoon just off the Island of Gozo. It is such a fab snorkeling area.
- In my opinion the best way to see Malta is by sea so I highly recommend a harbour boat trip.
- Medina is a beautiful historical city and is well worth a visit.

Restaurants:
-Tarragon, St Pauls Bay- We went there for my mum's birthday meal and honestly the food is some of the best I have ever had.
-La Sfoglia, Valletta- Hands down the best tuna steak I have ever had, again expensive but worth it for a special treat!

I also did a little bit of shopping whilst I was there :) All in all I truly recommend a trip to Malta there is so much to see and the weather is just perfection!

Have you been to Malta before? Where is your favorite place to go on holiday?

El x

No comments:

Post a Comment