Thursday 4 September 2014

To Go Or Not To Go? The University Debate

The time has come. As gradually students are going back to school and college one of the big decisions you have to make is not long off. Going to University is a big decision and a huge investment. For some there has never been another option and have always known that university is the thing for them. But for others who aren't quite so lucky or certain about their position the whole concept of university is, to say the least, daunting.

It is so hard to know if university is for you. Even people who were 100% sure they were going to university have been known to drop out because they hate their course or their uni or their housemates. 

If you are having this doubts, as I did myself, something I found really helpful was to make a table of pros and cons. By writing out all my opinions about University or 'Other' I was able to see what I was leaning towards. Here are some general example which maybe you could ask yourself.

UNI:
- Could Uni help my chances of a better Job when I leave? 
- Despite the debt it's something I've always wanted to do and I'm very motivated to study a certain subject in further detail.
- The social aspect really appeals to me, living away from home and meeting new people is a huge part of growing up 
- If I don't go I feel like I'm missing out.
- I don't really know what I want to do in terms of a job so having three years to figure things out will shed some more light on what I really want to do.

OTHER:
- By getting a full time job I am stepping onto the career ladder.
- I'm saving myself the huge debt that comes with Uni, money which I could put towards a course or starting my own company.
- As I'm not a particularly academic person I think I'd benefit more from an internship.
- I've never been that keen to go for social or academic reasons.
- I'm not particularly motivated to keep on my academic learning. I'd rather learn through experience.

Ultimately though only you can make the decision. It's so hard but don't be pressured into applying by school, parents or friends because you are the one who needs to pass the exams, something you won't do if you hate it. But also be wise about your decision. For some careers a degree is important to factor that in when you are making your decision. 

Ellie xx


No comments:

Post a Comment